So I’ve read the first four listed here, and I’d recommend #3 strongly. Before you read #4, read Adichie’s newer book (Half of a Yellow Sun). Several of the new ones look great!
I’m working my way through Say You’re One of Them. I just finished the short story about child trafficking in West Africa. Cheery stuff.
- I Didn’t Do It For You, by Michaela Wrong / Eritrea (Scarlett Lion)
- When Things Fell Apart: State Failure in Late-Century Africa, by Robert Bates (Dave)
- What Is The What, by Dave Eggers / Sudan (Angela)
- Purple Hibiscus, by Adichie / Nigeria (Scavella)
- Aya, by Abouet / Cote d’Ivoire (Scavella) I’ve wanted to read this since seeing an author interview on Bookslut
- Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits, by Lalami / Morocco (Scavella)
- Genocide By Denial: How Profiteering from HIV/AIDS Killed Millions, by Peter Mugyenyi / Uganda (Scarlett Lion)
- Beyond the Horizon, by Amma Darko / Ghana (Ms Four)